Marseille
Around the world, Europe
is that place that evokes history, art,
culture, languages, but also open minded people and where young people go to
travel and to party. I consider myself very lucky cos I’ve traveled through several Europeans cities, so in this blog I want to tell you about my experiences in all those
different cities, in order to get to know the perspective of this young curious
man form Maracaibo-Venezuela, about the diverse places of this magnificent
continent.
I don’t plan to write in a chronological order, neither am I going to do a
“top ten favorite cities”, or anything like that. I’m going to start with
Marseille because it’s the first one to come to mind.
It was the year 2008, I was studying French for
two months in Antibes, south of France. I Usually went out every weekend to discover a new
village of the well-known French Riviera, or like it’s called in French Côte
d’Azur. For the last weekend I wanted to go to Marseille. Why Marseille? Why
not? It’s France ’s
second biggest city and it was less than four hours by train. Funny thing is
that I thought I was going to go by myself, however by chance or luck it wasn’t
like that. At school, I had another Venezuelan friend (Alexandra) I let her
know that I wished to go to Marseille that weekend and I told her – come with
me if you want to. She said that she wanted to go in deed, so talking about it
as we were with another friend, we invited her and she accepted, later I
remember we were talking about the trip in the dining room of the student’s
resident, while other friends were listening and they wanted to join us as
well. In a couple of days we already had a group of eleven persons to go to
Marseille.
We were eleven persons from different
nationalities, to visit a new city
in two days. It was both, a lovely and
irritating experience. We were two Venezuelan, two Brazilians, a german, a
Swedish, a korean, a Nigerian, a marrocan-dutch, a Spanish and a
chinesse-canadien. You can imagine the trauma when we wanted to agree every
time someone said – Where are we going now?
Luckily the owner of the flat, where we spend
the night, told us where to go. It wasn’t a suggestion, or a piece of advice,
it was a very polite order. But I’ll be always thankful to him, for making us
go to that place, since it was the most beautiful natural landscape that my
eyes have witness so far. It was a park
called “Les Calanques”. As it was a clear sunny day, for him it was imperative
that we should go there. It was a park
with some creeks and cliffs that meet the sea to create a landscape of such
beauty that you remain speechless. It’s
one of those places that makes you feel small and huge at the same time, where
you don’t even want to blink, so you won’t miss, not even for a second, it’s
great majesty. The only unanimous thing in that trip was the feeling of
satisfaction that we had being in that place.
At the city we focused on getting to know the
port and the places nearby. I recall that moving forward wasn’t an easy task
with that big group. That day I got mad, but today I remember it with a
smile. When we thought that we had
agreed on where we were going, we started to walk and then we saw half of the
group going the other way. Then when we
were truly ready to move forward, someone had to go to the toilette. Apparently
this is contagious, so we had to wait every time for the eleven persons to go
to the toilette. We entered once into a café or a restaurant, we all used the
services and no one consumed a thing. …it was a success for us.
For me the highlight of the city was going up
the hill where there is the church “Notre Dame de Marseille”, both for the
temple and for the view of the city. In spite of the cold weather of that
second day, contemplating the city from this point you could breathe an air that
makes you feel that the trip was worth it.
Despite the disagreements, of us all, the
eleven persons that did that trip, we kept it as a good souvenir. Not every day
you make a trip like this one, this was one of these experiences that you live
and you will never forget. And I hope all of them could read this, because I
want to wish them good luck in whatever they’re doing and about the trip to
Marseille… let’s do it again.
Twitter: @MauroHoyer





No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario